Tuesday 28 April 2009

Congratulations to Claire who raised £1400 in the Marathon!

On Sunday, Claire Newman ran her first marathon, and the GBHT received its first marathon fundraising! Two firsts. Claire wrote the following message to friends and there is still time to donate!

Hi,

I did it!!! On Sunday I joined 35,000 other people in London and ran my first marathon. It was an absolutely brilliant experience, with great weather, a great atmosphere and such tremendous support from the crowds.

I reached the starting line fuelled and watered to the max, with a lot of butterflies in my stomach. But … I ran the whole way, passed Peter Andre and Jordan in the second mile, kept a steady pace, didn’t hit the wall, felt quite smug passing everyone who had hit the wall, and finished with a time better than I was hoping for – 3hr 58min and 50sec.

Barely coherent on Sunday afternoon I was apparently walking around with a “what-just-happened-to-me?” expression on my face. But it was definitely worth it, as the adrenaline is still pumping two days later and the sense of accomplishment is immense.

All your support and good wishes really meant a lot to me and definitely helped in the final few miles. I have been extremely touched by your generosity. Thanks to you all I have now raised nearly £1,400* for the Gareth Butler History Trust enabling 14 students to go on history trips to the battlefields in Northern France this autumn. I’ll be meeting the students in a couple of months and it’ll be fantastic seeing all the money I have raised have such an immediate impact.

Thank you for your support.
Claire

PS any suggestions for getting down stairs without using quadricep muscles gratefully received!




* My justgiving site can still receive donations for a few more months so think £1400 may not be the final total.

Claire RAN the London Marathon on 26 April for the Gareth Butler History Trust.
If you would like to support her please visit www.justgiving.com/clairenewman26April

No comments: